The homeless not only need to find ways to help themselves. If they have pets that they love, they want to take care of them too. Pets of the Homeless utilize collection sites that accept pet food donations. They deliver it to distributing organizations (food banks, homeless shelter and/or soups kitchens) which have agreed to distribute the pet food to the homeless and poor.
Pets of the Homeless sponsor veterinarians that go to where the homeless congregate and provide veterinary care such as vaccines, spay/neuter and other needed treatments at Wellness Clinics. They assist homeless shelters that will allow pets sanctuary with their owners by shipping crates so that the homeless can come in out of the cold and heat.
Pets of the Homeless addresses many initiatives: recruiting collection sites and distributing organizations as well as awarding grants, answering hundreds of requests for information on how to start a pet food pantry, how to volunteer, how to help a homeless person on the street, how to donate if there isn’t a collection site in the area, where to take pet food, and where to get pet food and veterinary care. They work with social workers, school children, Scouts, churches and companies who want to help. They talk with homeless everyday about their pets.
By helping the loved pets of the homeless, you are also helping the homeless.
“Feeding Pets of the Homeless believes in the healing power of companion pets and of the human/animal bond which is very important in the lives of many homeless. They find solace, protection and companionship through their pets. They care for their pets on limited resources so they themselves have less. Our task, nationwide, is to feed and provide basic emergency veterinary care to their pets and thus relieve the anguish and anxiety of the homeless who cannot provide for their pets.”
Visit their website to find out more about their initiatives such as:
- Promoting to veterinarians and pet related businesses the importance of joining the organization as a collection site
- Campaigning to food distributing organizations the importance of distributing pet food to the less fortunate
- Speaking out on the issue of pets of homeless and disadvantaged
- Providing funding to licensed veterinarians and other nonprofit organizations that meet our objective to administer veterinary care to pets of the homeless
- Providing funding for crates to nonprofit homeless shelters that will allow pets sanctuary with their owners