The short of it is that if more people reduce their usage of plastics, it will help the animals, the environment, and yes, humans.
Plastics are made from fossil fuels. They have a huge carbon footprint. They will exist practically forever. Only a tiny percentage is recycled. Plastics leach toxins into food and drinks. They promote hormone disruption and cancers. There is so much plastics usage in the world, that our lands and seas have become horribly polluted. They kill animals and birds by strangling them or because they are ingested. The plastics enter our food chain.
- 2.5 billion metric tons (1000 kg) of solid waste is produced all around the world.
- Of that number, 275 million metric tons is plastic waste.
- 2 billion people within 30 miles of the coast create 100 million metric tons of coastal plastic waste.
- 8 million metric tons of plastic goes into the oceans yearly.
What can people do? We can’t get away from plastics yet. Too many of our products offer no alternatives. However, there are many things we can do…
- Use reusable mesh produce bags and shopping bags.
- Use recycled and compostable bags.
- Save the plastic bags you’ve collected and reuse them as often as possible to reduce acquiring new bags.
- Avoid buying 6 packs with the plastic rings around each.
- Use reusable products such as bottles, containers, and straws.
- Use silicone baking mats, lids and food bags instead of use-once aluminum sheets, plastic wraps and plastic bags.
- Use reusable K Cups for Keurig machines.
- Use dryer balls rather than dryer sheets.
- Recycle as much as possible in your area.
You will find such products at the online store, www.justvegan.shop.
What are some of your solutions to reducing plastics and waste?